Things You Can Do to Stop A War
the BuzzFlash Readers:
a town hall meeting in which the community is invited to speak out.
- Call your Representatives and tell them you oppose war. (Vivian
Phillips, Chapel Hill, NC)
- Sign the Iraq Pledge of Resistance and join the National Campaign
of Civil Disobedience. LINK
- Write a letter to the editor or op-ed. LINK
- Initiate anti-war resolutions in your city council or other local
(SE, Dallas, TX, source)
- Join the "Freedom Flyer" Yahoo Group and distribute their
flyers everywhere you can. LINK (Mary
P., New Jersey)
- Voice your opinion on national TV and radio.
Call C-SPAN's "Washington Journal" program
4AM PST-7AM EST. They put the call numbers on
screen. Keep trying, use your redial button or Email them at email@example.com --
thousands watch every morning (K.N., Baker City, OR)
- Put a sign in your front yard.
- Hang a peace banner on your house. (Kathy G.)
- Make/buy an anti-war banner/flag for your car, similar to the ones
sports fans to display their favorite teams. I was lucky enough to
ready-made by a local artist "Just Say No to War"
(Randall Meeks, Charlotte, NC)
- Use your garage as a billboard
- Display a peace flag
- Join a vigil
- Start a peace group at your church
- Hang a banner in a public
- Participate in a demonstration
- Wear a button with a message
- Talk to your neighbors
- Encourage your church to oppose war
- Perform a drama or paint
- Join a march
- Hold a mock funeral
- Go to a teach in
- Read international news
- Boycott American TV news, and tell them!
- Strike or walkout
- Boycott weapons manufacturers
- Encourage the military to resist
- Withdraw money from your bank
- Purchase socially responsible
- Withhold taxes
- Slowdown at work
- Organize a sick in
- Refuse to legitimize this
- Acts of civil disobedience
- Thank foreign countries who support
- Pay for ads in newspapers
- Send a check to peace and justice
- Guerilla theater
- Support antiwar signs on buses
- Write to the United Nations ([country]@un.int)
- Support veterans
opposed to war
- Visit alternative news websites
- Sign online petitions
- Initiate anti-war resolutions in your
- Voice your opinion on c-span
- Put a sign opposing war in your
- Put a peace sign on your umbrella using tape or paint
anti-war elected officials
- Put an anti-war bumper sticker on
- Drive a car with responsible gas mileage
- Make a commitment to PEACE (from Vivian)
- Read www.wsws.org.
Even if you don't like the name of the website or agree with its
politics, you won't find more intelligent or thorough
elsewhere. If I were a professionally paid right-wing liar I would
read this website daily in order to fully understand what is going
on. (Wellen Reiter)
- Ride your bike instead of driving your gas hog.
- Buy an electric
car; EPA says that 80% of most city dwellers’ driving is short
trips around town. NEVs (Neighborhood Electric
Vehicles) are perfect for this. Plug them into your garage electrical
outlet when not in use. Go ahead and drive your gas guzzler for
the other 20% of your driving needs.
- Buy or build a solar water
heater (I’ve done this for 27 years; most I’ve paid has been $100
plus an old electric water heater
- Hang up your laundry! If every Californian had used a clothesline
(a primitive solar/wind clothes drying technique successfully
used by your grandparents), the "energy crisis" would never have
happened. (Malcolm Drake)
- Inform co-workers and friends by printing and/or cutting out
relating to anti-war issues and passing them out for them to read.
up discussion groups with others so you will be able to intelligently
explain your views, with out spamming with fliers or articles.
doesn't work) (Justin G., Livonia, MI)
- Refuse to engage in sex of any sort with any repugnican, no matter
how much money they offer you. Applies to right-wing stooges
dressed in Democrat clothing. (gardner p. / Raleigh, NC)
- Fashion your own anti-war sign, gather a few friends and stand
on a prominent street corner in your town for two hours once a week.
(Jim B., Memphis, TN.)
- Support every anti-war organization you can find. Don't worry about
how much you can afford. Even the most minimal contribution allows
an organization to claim you as a supporter, if not a member, and
adds to its political clout. Swell the ranks of those who speak truth
to power. (Robert Lipton,
- Distribute No War lawn signs throughout your neighborhood. Make
a thousand and one lawn signs sprout in you community. (Mark, Chicago,
- Make a protest sign [like "anything War can do Peace can do
better" or "War is good for Nothing"] and
hold it up in a public place. http://kciraqtaskforce.org/ (MB,
- Fly the UN flag at your home.
- Host "book club" style parties.
Instead of discussing a book, you discuss
the war and other urgent political issues. (PM, Michigan)
- Join http://www.truemajority.org/ and
use their system to easily send faxes to congress.
- If you manage a website, put an anti-war image
- Publicise civilian war casualties
on your website. See:
- If you have
an office with a window that pedestrians can see from the
street, face your computer monitor out the window and display
anti-war slogans (such as body counts) in *big* letters,
(David Flanagan, Bellingham, WA)
- Inform public about BuzzFlash.
- Take out ads in the local papers.
- Put anti-war information on the
local access channel.
- Call your elected officials every day. Get your friends to do the
- Sign petitions:
rescinding Iraq resolution:
- Vote to Impeach:
- Center for Economic and Social Rights (various petitions)
- Citizens for Legitimate Government
- International Appeal for a French Veto at the Security Council
of the UN
- Participate in Indymedia.
Listen to Internet
- Boycott Action News
- Ethical Consumer
- Boycotts in Action
- Tell everyone you know, what you know about the unjust action,
since most people are getting biased views from television and newspapers.
out flyers with the facts, on it i.e.; the manufacturing of evidence,
the cost in human life (ours and theirs). the lack
of evidence. etc. (Patti D. Youngstown, Ohio)
- As you encounter any REAL pictures of Iraqi children, copy and
forward them in an email to everyone on your list with a slogan ("In
September 2001, 15 Saudi Arabian Criminals carried out acts of CRIME
Why does that make it right to kill these Iraqi Children for oil?
Honorable People Arrest and Try Terrorists and their Financiers.
Encourage the others to forward them as well. (D.M.
- Pass on Wendy Tremayne's idea: send your stinky socks to the White
in protest. Get friends to send theirs. (dawa)
- Find a pretty postcard with the name of your town, and send it
to the White House with your anti-invasion sentiments: no envelope,
security concerns. President George W. Bush, The White House, 1600
Pennsylvania Avenue NW, Washington, DC 20500. (Jennifer Poole,
- Join a peace group in your town or area. If there isn't one, start
one. You will be amazed at who wants to join.
- Write to the embassies
of France, Germany, China, and Russia and tell them that as a patriotic
American you want them to vote against
any new resolution in the UN, and thank them for opposing the
war so far. (JC, Ann Arbor, Michigan)
- Send Bush a bag of rice. LINK (Bob
- Call and write your local affiliate television and radio news programs
to request that you would like to see a more balanced coverage of
the anti-war efforts that are happening (across the nation).
- Call and write your local affiliate television and radio news programs
to request that they give equal coverage of the ongoing bipartisian
Congressional effort to reject the previous "broad based" powers
given to the White House regarding [war] maneuvers due to the terrorist
- Organize (national) local efforts in silent protests against the
war by initiating "non-purchase" days. In essence, local
communities can purposely refuse to buy ANYTHING from ANY businesses
within their communities on specific days to showcase what this concentrated
effort to war and the expense of it has and will continue to do to
our economy. If coinciding national efforts provide enough force,
businesses then may realize how much all of this madness is costing
(them) and start speaking up more about not going to war. I.E. -
without AN an active economy their is no money to support our government's
- Flood the phone lines of local hard-right radio talk shows with
calls against the war. Jamming the lines (via local groups) during
a broadcast will work either way. They will either air the "contrary" views
or will have to offer "dead" phone air time and a rambling
host without a sounding board. Note: to do this effectively, when
being "pre-interviewed" before going on air, those calling
in will not be able to be completely truthful of the views they wish
to discuss on air.
- Tell your pastor, your preacher, your reverend, etc. at your institution
of worship that you are against killing people for oil. Ask others
in your congregation to do so too. Have your church(es) as a group
sign a "combined" letter and send it to your local, state,
and federal representatives. Groups have more say than individuals.
(Katherine Hovey, San Francisco, CA)
- Stay informed.
- Stay strong.
that you can stop this war.
- Forward this page to everyone you know.
wants to thank everyone who participated. Together we can succeed.